Winter is in full force. Did you know according to folklore, the weather can be predicted from a persimmon seed? The Old Farmer’s Almanac lists the three possible predictions:
Look at the shape of the kernel inside.
- If the kernel is spoon-shaped, lots of heavy, wet snow will fall. Spoon = shovel!
- If it is fork-shaped, you can expect powdery, light snow and a mild winter.
- If the kernel is knife-shaped, expect to be “cut” by icy, cutting winds.
I am forgetting winter for a moment with this mango persimmon smoothie. This seasonal fruit is paired with mango for a tropical twist and the cinnamon will be sure to leave you on a warm note.
Mango Persimmon Smoothie
Prep time: 10 mins
- 2 Cups Mango (fresh or frozen chunks)
- 2 Persimmon (peeled and cubed)
- 1 Banana
- 1 Cup Vanilla Yogurt (I’m a huge fan of Stonyfield Organic Lowfat French Vanilla)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Honey
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 Cup Ice
- If using a fresh mango, peel and cut into large cubes. I used frozen mango to help make the smoothie nice and cold. Put 2 cups worth in a blender as the base.
- Peel the skin from the 2 persimmons and cut into large cubes. Open the banana and break into large pieces and add, along with the persimmon, to the blender.
- Add 1 cup of yogurt, 1 1/2 tablespoons of honey and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon to the mix and top it off with 1 cup of ice for that extra crunch. Blend and enjoy! Garnish with a few dashes of cinnamon.